Monday, May 21, 2012

Rice Cereal Nom Nom Nom!

Cameron was one week shy of 5 months old yesterday, so I figured it was time to introduce some rice cereal. You can start solids anywhere from 4-6 months, but since Cam was 6 weeks early I decided around 5 months would be good. The pediatricians want to ensure baby shows signs that she is ready such as ability to sit up with some assistance and move food from her tongue to her throat comfortably.

My mom has wanted to start rice cereal from day one because she is old school :) She gave it to my older sister Cathy in a bottle to help her with reflux. It is also an old wives tale that it helps baby sleep through the night. The moment I mentioned that I wanted to do baby's first feeding at grandma's house my mom belted out, "Yaaaaaay!"

Little did she realize how little fun the first feeding would be lol! Baby was not very interested in the spoonful of "mush" when we first placed it in her little mouth. She stuck her tongue out and wiggled it around on the spoon. She got this look on her face like we were torturing her!

I must admit my heart was palpitating from fear that she would choke. My mom showed me how they suck it off the spoon to learn. It got a little easier after the third and fourth spoonful until baby went, "Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!" She was not happy! My theory is her GI tract was adjusting to solid food. We got a few more spoonfuls and gave her a break. I did notice a few more toots than usual afterwards, but she wasn't fussy which was a relief! We survived the first feeding and here are some pics of grandma feeding her...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer's Mom again............loved every moment of the first feeding. She wanted the bottle more than this silly spoon in her mouth. Jenn and I finaly tasted the rice cereal after Camerian was through with all this fun......It was pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Awww. Wait until you try solids. Have a camera ready to capture all the faces. Later you can mix rice ceral with the fruit flavored baby food. She'll love it.

Sylvia

Post a Comment