Thursday, May 17, 2012

In Search of the Perfect Bottle

When Cameron came home from the hospital she was a little under 5 lbs and still using the small 2.5 oz bottles that came in the breast pump kits. When we transitioned her to a "big girl" bottle we wanted to find one that would give her the least air possible. We started with the Playtex Ventaire bottles. The bottles came highly recommended from my BFF Kellie who used them with both her children. We noticed Cameron was having a lot of gas and some spit-up at night. This may have been due to her immature GI tract, but we still wanted to try other options. We also didn't like how the vent was located on the bottom of the bottle because it trapped water when heating and water would drip out when feeding. We tried the Playtex nurser off and on while using the Ventaire, but we didn't like how we would push the air out of the bag and it would fill back up with air again while feeding. Tomee Tippee was our next choice. It had a cool shape which resembled a breast if you really looked close, but nipples flowed too fast and filled baby up with air. After, I researched a lot online about what bottle was good for gassy baby I went with the Dr. Brown bottle. It had tons of parts which were a pain to clean and I didn't notice any change in baby's gas or fussiness. I finally settled with the Avent bottles when Cam was around 3 months old. My friend Kat recommended this bottle from the get go and I should have listened. It was vented on top with very few parts, great shape, and flow was perfect. Cameron's gas and fussiness lessened, but this could be due to her GI tract finally maturing. We have been using the Avent bottles for two months now and are definitely pleased. It took a lot of trial and error, but we finally found a bottle that worked for us :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's partially why I don't like the ventaire also. But they don't make Joey gassy so I keep using them. I didnt even touch the dr brown ones. Too many parts but they came highly reccomended. I asks medela. Mainly for pumping and storage.
-sylvia

Post a Comment