The goal was to induce labor over the next 48 hours. We started to contact family member to give them the news and soon they were showing up one by one. Almost 12 hours after arriving to ER I still did not have any contractions. I was put on a magnesium drip to bring down my blood pressure and blood draws every two hours. Around 5pm a doctor comes into my room to give me more bad news...I had developed HELLP Syndrome. My liver was failing and an emergency C section was needed. I could see the nursing staff putting on their scrubs in the background and fear set in again. Due to my condition I could not have an epidural for pain, so I had to go under general anesthesia. I remember being wheeled into the OR, bright lights shining down on me, oxygen mask, and the warm feeling as anesthesia entered my body. All I thought to myself was, "Will I wake up?" Due to my platelet counts being so low there was risk of my blood not clotting.
A little over an hour later I woke up with my mother and aunt staring over me. I had no pain medication and my incision was on fire with pain. I only saw a cell phone picture of Cameron and I would be unable to see her until I could walk to NICU on my own. This is the picture. She was 4 lbs 9 oz, although you can't tell by picture because she was swollen.
Over the next two days family members would be escorted to see her, but I couldn't see her and it broke my heart. When I was finally strong enough to get out of bed to go see her and hold her 4 lb 9 oz body in my arms it was the most indescribable feeling...Here we are...
Over the course of the next couple of days I was only strong enough to see her 2-3 times a day and it was all I looked forward to. I was released that Thursday to go home and heal. For the next week Adam and I made two trips a day for her feedings. Preemies have not developed the suck, swallow, breath reflex so it takes a lot of work to "grow" them. We were able to finally bring her home January 6th and I was a nervous wreck! I was so worried she would stop breathing or I wouldn't be able to get her to eat enough. Soon enough I had a routine down and watched her blossom...to be cont.

1 comments:
I am crying just relieving what you went through and how scared we all were for you especially and then the baby. But once we saw your scared face after delivery we knew you were okay and seeing the beautiful little Cameron we knew God would not take her away either.
Post a Comment