When I was on maternity leave I dreaded searching for a care provider. I didn't even want to think about going back to work and missing baby all day. I worried that something might happen to her when I wasn't around. It is only natural for new mothers to go through this anxiety, but unless you have the means for one parent to stay home it is a fact of life.
I kept seeing ads for Care.com on the TV, so I decided to check it out. I placed on ad and in the first couple of days received 20+ responses. Most of them were teenagers more looking to babysit, so I weeded those out. I narrowed the pool of potentials to 3 or 4 based on location and bios. I kind of procrastinated and didn't contact any of them because I think I was in denial. In the meantime I contacted to licensed in home daycare providers that looked really great by their websites, but they were all full. I got a little discouraged because I got my hopes up after checking out their websites and pricing.
The thing about Care.com is you can't directly contact anyone unless you pay their fee, but some of the providers know how to sneak their email or phone number in the message. The first provider who did that looked like a good match so I gave her a call. I went over to her house the next day and spent 1 1/2 hrs chatting. She seemed really nice, but I just had this gut feeling that she wasn't the one. The only infant experience she had was her 18 month old and she only nursed so she never used a bottle. She had lots of teaching experience with young kids, but I was looking for more infant experience. I left there thinking I would have to settle. It was funny because it felt like my old online dating experiences when there wasn't a connection.
Well as fate would have it a few days later I received a message from Jaime Murphy. I decided I needed to meet her before settling with other provider. She gave me her address and I freaked because she lived on the same street as the other care provider! I thought it was some kind of set-up lol! But they did not know each other! What is the likelihood that they both lived on the same street?? Weird!
I showed up at Jaime's house and I immediately felt the warmth. Jaime's whole smile, demeanor, and attitude really put me at ease. I knew I had found the "connection" and a second home for our baby girl. Her 2 1/2 yr old Hanna was so sweet and adoring of Cameron. On the second visit with Adam we met her 7 yr old Caitlin and her husband Scott. Caitlin is a little person and her smile lit up the room. I knew if Jaime could take care of a special needs child she would definitely have the ability to handle our little preemie.
I brought baby by for two test runs the week before I went back to work. Jaime made the effort of texting me and sending me pictures as well as finding a baby log she could send me each day showing feedings, naps, and diaper changes! I knew I made the right choice and it was fate to find her!
For the past six weeks Jaime has made my life so much easier with the reassurance that Cam is being well taking care of. Hanna and Caty adore Cameron and are so excited each morning when I show up. She is like a little doll for them :) Jaime texts and sends me pictures everyday along with the log! I even text her off hours and hope I am not bugging her too much. I found not only the most amazing care provider, but a second home away from home for our baby girl :)
Monday, May 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am Jennifer's Mom and I was also so lucky with childcare for my four children. When you have to leave the children with some one else either because you love working or you have to financial do it..............having the knowledge that your children are safe and being well cared for is the best.
JOey and I interviewed 2 home daycare providers. the first one, we didn't didn't really care for. She was nice but something was off. She would be our last resort. The other day was nice and we both liked her but her place was full. So i applied at the care center we have onsite at work.
Even though it's a lot more expensive, i love having little joey there. He's in a secure place (3 security check points), he close to me (perfect for nursing), and the ladies there love him!
So glad you found a great place to leave cameron.
Sylvia
Post a Comment